I’ve read some interesting articles regarding goals where different studies were cited that leaned toward opposite findings:
Option 1) You tell your goal to someone and they help hold you accountable to it. This inspires you to stay on the straight and narrow and not falter.
Option 2) You keep your goals secret. Saying your goal out loud makes it more real and your brain has the potential to say you’re almost there so you should quit now. Why not? I mean, you’ve basically completed the task, right?
Personally, I’m a bigger believer in this approach because I know the brain and your body do not like doing anything that threatens the status quo. Don’t believe me? Pick a food you really like, but is probably unhealthy to eat and cut it out of your diet. See what your brain does with this change.
All that being said, I think there can be personal resolutions and public resolutions.
Here are my public resolutions:
- Get a Grom. I’ll admit that I may have jumped the gun a bit on registering the website and designing tee-shirts, but I know I’m going to get a Grom and I also know it’s the Grom that is currently in my garage (and currently owned by a friend). It’s just a small matter of time.
- Make at least five substantial rides on the island to document cool places and things to see or do. It’s the whole point of this blog and I feel lame writing “blog” posts instead of moto posts!
- Beat 2017’s mileage.
- Take the Grom off-road. Maybe not crazy off-road, but there’s a spot here on the island that you can’t take a normal car, but I’m pretty sure you can take a bike. I just have to go out and see for myself…
- Get Geared-up. Motorcycle safety gear is expensive and I’ve given myself a year to get a good set of riding clothes to help keep me safe on my travels.
- Take lots and lots of pictures. I’ve got some cool stuff in mind and I’m sure some of it will end up here, but all of it will end up on my Instagram.
- Go on at least one group ride. I generally ride alone, mostly because I don’t want to inconvenience anyone, but I’d like to give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about.
- Make some new friends along the way.
I have more that I want to do, but I feel like putting anything else on myself would be a recipe for disaster and I have so much to do with this list and my actual job already so we’ll just say that anything more than this will be icing on the cake. At the end of 2018, we’ll see how this list worked out!
What about you? What are your resolutions?